backups and moving LFS

Tijmen Stam tijmen at stamadvies.nl
Mon Nov 27 07:57:58 PST 2000

Hi

two questions:
1: I want to backup my base LFS system, before I go fiddling with it.
Does tar keep owners & permissions & such? I did RTFM, but didn't find
out anything.. If not, what's your advice?

2: I built the LFS on an pentium 1, with no optimalisation (e.g. didn't
set the C(XX)FLAGS envvars at all.)
Con I copy this to a k6-II, and is it true that the only files I have to
alter then are network-related and /etc/fstab files (and the kernel for
hardware-specific options?)
(BTW I didn't optimize becaus I was to copy it to a 486, but that
shouldn't work, because for e.g. bash's configure autodetects itsself
that it should optimize for a 586 host... :-( that's gonna be
rebuilding!
Anyway, I found the part about the optimalization a bit unclear (sorry,
haven't checked 2.4.3 yet, I still use 2.4.2) (All praises for the
rest!)

Gracias, Tijmen

--
>From Tijmen Stam - "I believe in Linux" - tijmen at stamadvies.nl
POVray page http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/somepage/ Last update: 2000-11-23
count linux @ counter.li.org reg#178552, Machine#78930 & #78931

Everyone calling himself a linux master should have completely read the Bash
man page and all kernel documentation, as a test to prove himself and to free
some bandwith on comp.os.linux.* ( Honestly, I haven't done this all yet )-: