backups and moving LFS

Seth Payne SPayne at Legato.com
Mon Nov 27 10:39:21 PST 2000

I built my LFS system on a PII 400 and tried moving it to a P-150.  It
booted ok but when it got to mounting my file systems it didnt work.  It
gave errors that i could not initialize swap or mount my partitions...
Anyway, I dont know what the problem was but it didnt work for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Green [mailto:jim at vardus.net]
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2000 9:33 AM
To: lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: backups and moving LFS

1. Yep, tar keeps permissions. It wouldn't be much of a backup program if it
did not ;-)

2. Again, Yep, you should be able to just copy across and then change the
config files you need to. BTW I built a LFS on a pentium and copied it to a
486sx (no maths co-pro!) I havn't had any problems with it, but remember to
build a kernel for 486 - you can then copy that across too! (there is a
chance I am wrong about this - but I have not had any problems...)

If you have unoptimised binaries, you will probably want to strip out
debugging symbols - to see how to do this look at LFS 2.2 (I think there is
still a copy in the LDP howto section - from the days when LFS *was* a
howto!)
>From memory:

strip --strip-debug /lib/*        (to strip debugging symbols from libraries
in /lib)

strip --strip-all /bin/*            (to strip all symbols from binaries in
/bin)

THis will make a *big* difference, especially on the 486, and especially if
you are a little tight on RAM!

Have fun