Kernel upgrade

Brad Hartin bhartin at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 27 11:46:32 PST 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Tijmen Stam wrote:

> I have now a working LFS with kernel 2.2.17, but I heard from a friend
> 2.4 is way faster, (but maybe that's because he has a cyrix), but I
> wanna try anyway. Are there any things that might need recompileng
> (exept for the kernel itself) and does anyone know about the stability
> of 2.4.0test, is it worth it or should I wait a while keeping in mind
> that a stable system is more value to me than a fast system (it's a
> server, so it won't reboot often anyway...),

I used 2.4.0-test only because I wanted to updated UDMA support, but as of
-test9 or so it seems to be stable.  I would avoid -test8 or prior like
the plague...-test8 promptly ate my filesystems.  Fortunately the system
was still a test system anyway, so it wasn't a major loss.

> BTW what's the system.map file for? I accidently didn't install it, but
> the lfs boots anyway... (? a normal sys does boot when it finds a wrong
> system.map, it just gives tons of error messages, but not if it's not
> present? weird)

I'm *not certain*, but I think this is only for providing debugging
symbols.  I've never had any need to update it myself.

Brad Hartin - bhartin at strafco.com
Communications Administrator
Straus Frank Enterprises, Ltd.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org