Sh-utils problem with mv

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 27 11:50:47 PST 2000

On November 25, 2000 03:31 am, you wrote:
> In chapter 6 of version intel-2.4.3 I run the commands:
>
> 	./configure --prefix=$LFS/usr --disable-nls &&
>        make LDFLAGS=-static &&
>        make install &&
>        cd $LFS/usr/bin &&
>        mv date echo false pwd stty $LFS/bin &&
>        mv su true uname hostname $LFS/bin
>
> HOWEVER, when the second mv is executed, su is not in the current path to
> move...it's in $LFS/src/sh-utils-2.0/src/.   This caused me a bit of
> confusion and to remove, replace, and recompile the sh-utils package about
> 5 times now.

su must be in /usr/bin after you did 'make install' If not, something went
wrong at your end (and I can't tell what went wrong without seeing the 'make
install' output)

> Also, are there any problems with my creating LFS as a normal user and not
> root?  Nothing was mentioned in the introduction about needing to be root.
> I have a feeling I'm going to need to chown the entire installation in a
> couple chapters, but I can deal with that.
> I've already needed to be root to create the partition and to install gcc
> on my normal system.  Anything else I need to know?

No problems, you just want to make sure that the binaries and libraries are
owned by user root and not by yourself

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org