kmod: failed to exec modprobe?

Tijmen Stam tijmen at stamadvies.nl
Tue Nov 28 08:43:02 PST 2000

While i'm booting my lfs, I get

setting up hostname, and then 8 times:
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k net-p6-?, errno = 2
(where ? stands for 3,6,5,9,3,6,5,9 respectively)
And then an [  OK  ] wich seems to belong to the localnet file... wich
seems to be ok...

The history involving modules (I hate modules, but that's just because i
don't know how to handle them... Another thing i'll have to learn):
I had a kernel 2.2.17 installed, but the NIC and ISDN card didn't work,
probably because I jest made some wrong decisions in make menuconfig...
(i then didn't get this message) So, lazy as I am, i loaded an old
2.2.14 configuration file from the same pc's "base system" wich I knew
was working (and had made myself) into the 2.2.17 make menuconfig, made
a quick walk trough all menus, and made the bzImage, module and
modules_install.. I didn't want modules, but appearently the ipv4 stuff
got in as modules anyway....

I have no /etc/modules.conf set up jet (i had more modules in the old
2.2.17 kernel, but didn;t get the errmsg), and I can't find a
modules.dep anywhere....

What to do... suggestions?

Another question... While testing some things, i had stoppes the
sysklogd, and I cot the number of someone calling on my screen (via the
ISDN card), but such messages aren't stored in /var/log/*... Where are
the stored (logged by klogd)

Tijmen

--
>From Tijmen Stam - "I believe in Linux" - tijmen at stamadvies.nl
POVray page http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/somepage/ Last update: 2000-11-23
count linux @ counter.li.org reg#178552, Machine#78930 & #78931

Everyone calling himself a linux master should have completely read the Bash
man page and all kernel documentation, as a test to prove himself and to free
some bandwith on comp.os.linux.* ( Honestly, I haven't done this all yet )-: