kmod: failed to exec modprobe?

Tijmen Stam tijmen at stamadvies.nl
Tue Nov 28 12:11:01 PST 2000

Fabio Fracassi wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 November 2000 17:43, you wrote:
>
> > > While i'm booting my lfs, I get
> >
> > setting up hostname, and then 8 times:
> > kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k net-p6-?, errno = 2
> > (where ? stands for 3,6,5,9,3,6,5,9 respectively)
> > And then an [  OK  ] wich seems to belong to the localnet file... wich
> > seems to be ok...
>
> it is probably net-pf-?, isn't it?
> I know that net-pf-9 is the loopback device.
> so you have to put following line into your /etc/modules.conf
> alias net-pf-9 loop

Mmm... Thanks... but it doesn't work :-(

The big problemo is that I don't have a loop.o module... depmod -a ; modprobe
-l gives me
/lib/modules/2.2.17/ipv4/ip_masq_* ( cuseeme, quake... that stuff )

In make menuconfig the loopback device is off, but that's the loopback device
under block devices.. I don't think that has anything to do with the
"noetworking" loopback...

Oh... I found out the problem: kmod reads the location of modprobe from
/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe (I thought), and it tells /sbin/modprobe, while it's
really in /usr/modprobe. So in the next LFS shoud be menthione either
- echo "/usr//sbin/modprobe" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe  (this should happen
everytime at boot time, before any other progs
or
cd /sbin && ln -s ../usr/sbin/modprobe modprobe (needs to be done once, thus is
way simpler!)

> for the others check the kernel Documentation
> (modules.txt, networking/net-modules.txt)

modules said I shouls alias net-pf- 3,4 and 6 to "off", I did so with 5&9 too,
it still doesn't work...

> > The history involving modules (I hate modules, but that's just because i
> > don't know how to handle them... Another thing i'll have to learn):
> > I had a kernel 2.2.17 installed, but the NIC and ISDN card didn't work,
> > probably because I jest made some wrong decisions in make menuconfig...
> > (i then didn't get this message) So, lazy as I am, i loaded an old
> > 2.2.14 configuration file from the same pc's "base system" wich I knew
> > was working (and had made myself) into the 2.2.17 make menuconfig, made
> > a quick walk trough all menus, and made the bzImage, module and
> > modules_install.. I didn't want modules, but appearently the ipv4 stuff
> > got in as modules anyway....
> >
> > I have no /etc/modules.conf set up jet (i had more modules in the old
> > 2.2.17 kernel, but didn;t get the errmsg), and I can't find a
> > modules.dep anywhere....
>
> You probably have too.

indeed... in /lib/modules/2.2.17. I just overlooked it. sorry.

> > What to do... suggestions?
>
> Well sounds all a bit confused, I suggest reconfiguring your kernel, try
> reading all the points, understand what they do, read the help
>
> > Another question... While testing some things, i had stoppes the
> > sysklogd, and I cot the number of someone calling on my screen (via the
> > ISDN card), but such messages aren't stored in /var/log/*... Where are
> > the stored (logged by klogd)
>
> see /etc/syslog.conf or man syslog.conf
>
> Hope that helps
>
> P.S. Modules are a great thing, since you can change features on your kernel
> without rebooting. Besides they save resources.

and they add errors!