BUGTRAQ alert - [SECURITY] [DSA-001-1] ed symlink attack

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 29 14:39:20 PST 2000

On November 29, 2000 04:53 pm, you wrote:

> > This showed up in my mailbox just minutes after I finished install ed in
> > my new lfs. Is ed even needed anymore? I wouldn't know how to use it if I
> > had to.
>
> You don't need vim or ed. Just install whatever editor you like. I only
> installed joe for instance.

I am thinking about removing ed from the book. I know certain people still
use it, but they can install it themselves if they really want it. The only
reason why ed was in the book is that the patch program can use ed scripts to
patch. But I haven't come across an ed script to patch with in all my life.
It's all been files created by the diff program. Also I don't think a whole
lot of programs need ed to either compile or run. I'm of course mistaken so
correct me if I'm wrong

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org