BUGTRAQ alert - [SECURITY] [DSA-001-1] ed symlink attack

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Nov 29 21:40:14 PST 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:11:39PM -0500, Seth W. Klein wrote:
> So why is ed in the book? Because if everything is broken, it still
> works. It doesn't need advanced terminal features or libraries such
> as ncurses It's like the -b init flag. Few know it's there or how to
> use it, but if the worst happens, you'll need it. So true sys admins
> know it's there and how to use it, and true unix (like) systems
> have it.

Uhh...no

Ed is not in the book because of that reason, it was added as Gerard
though it the best action as some things may need it (even though, after
several months i have to agree with him, it isn't really needed, even
though i like ed)

If i can't run my standard editor, ed is not going to help and i have
wayyyy bigger problems.

I'm going to kill myself to saying this but here goes... GNU/Linux _is
not_ UNIX, don't expect the same things to be installed.

And please... you don't need to know to know howto use ed to be a
'true sys admin'

IMHO

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org