LFS editor of choice should be vi

Joe Weidenbach weidenbach at web-weaver.net
Wed Nov 29 22:44:13 PST 2000

> I have to agree with Jesse, Seth, etc.	...vi is the one constant you
> can rely on as you move from system to system.

Agreed.  However, I think Matthias made a good point.  LFS is about choice,
and putting what you _WANT_ on your system, not what a distro wants you to
have.  That's one of the issue's that shows up repeatedly on this list.
People asking "can I put this on my new LFS system" or "can I put this here
instead" seems to be a recurring theme.  Although it is mentioned several
places in the book that this is all about choices, I think that it would be
beneficial to emphasize that at some point in the actual install.  Gerard is
leaving out unnecessary software to that end, but as an editor is required
for some of the base installation (most notably util-linux) he might as well
put several of the more common options (e.g. vim, emacs, pico) in the book at
that point.  In addition to catering to people's preferences, he would be
encouraging them to try different things, and emphasizing once again that
this is THEIR system, and they decide how they want it set up.

SCDrumline

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org