LFS editor of choice should be vi

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Wed Nov 29 23:07:18 PST 2000

Yo,

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:44:13PM -0800, Joe Weidenbach wrote:
> Agreed.  However, I think Matthias made a good point.  LFS is about choice,
> and putting what you _WANT_ on your system, not what a distro wants you to
> have.  That's one of the issue's that shows up repeatedly on this list.
> People asking "can I put this on my new LFS system" or "can I put this here
> instead" seems to be a recurring theme.  Although it is mentioned several
> places in the book that this is all about choices, I think that it would be
> beneficial to emphasize that at some point in the actual install.  Gerard is
> leaving out unnecessary software to that end, but as an editor is required
> for some of the base installation (most notably util-linux) he might as well
> put several of the more common options (e.g. vim, emacs, pico) in the book at
> that point.  In addition to catering to people's preferences, he would be
> encouraging them to try different things, and emphasizing once again that
> this is THEIR system, and they decide how they want it set up.

I'll say this again (btw, why has another thread started on this? :)

Sure, it's not a bad idea...but when it is implemeted be carefull, i
mean real carefull and just think about this.

I don't want to see ~5+ editors in LFS, i don't mind seeing a pointer in
the book to another source that desscribes the process of installing
your favorite editor nor telling the user that you can use any editor (i
encourage that),

And LFS is about choice, i think every user should make modifications
and try out new things, but i don't agree with having to list a bunch of
different editors, sure it's real personal and all, but if your that
touchy about it, you problably allreay know howto install your favorite
editor (and if you don't know allready, that would be a good time to
learn)

ok..enough mumbling...

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org