Glibc 2.2

Hendrik Volker Brunn hvb at gmx.net
Thu Nov 30 04:29:28 PST 2000

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 02:35:49PM +0000, richard at reika.demon.co.uk wrote:
> I was going to e-mail you from a glibc-2.2/gcc-2.97 install. It can boot,
> run qmail and mutt, but will not compile a working kernel. The old kernel
> I used depended on modules for serial, ppp and thus my connection to the
> internet. So I have had to resort to my glibc-2.1.3 OS to send this.
>
> My next attempt will be with gcc-2.95.2 with corrections to its
> C++ library. With any luck, that will compile working kernels

Perhaps you should take a look at /usr/src/linux/README, where it says:

COMPILING the kernel:

 - Make sure you have gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2) available.  gcc 2.95.2 may
   also work but is not as safe, and *gcc 2.7.2.3 is no longer supported*.
   Also remember to upgrade your binutils package (for as/ld/nm and company)
   if necessary. For more information, refer to ./Documentation/Changes.

Or take a look on LKML. There is no chance to use 2.97 for kernel
compiling, as kernel relies on certain "bugs" 2.91.66 has, as they are
used for optmising. I'm using 2.95.2 and have loads of working kernels,
but on some configurations it breaks some __init thingies.

Mind telling me, which switches you used on glibc-2.2 and which packages
had to be patched?

Hendrik

--
Despite all the medical advances of the 20th century,
the mortality rate remains unchanged at 1 death per

## Linux 2.4.0-test11 running on an i586 ##

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org