mail archives slow

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 30 09:33:34 PST 2000

On November 30, 2000 12:23 pm, you wrote:
> Why are the mail archives not in synch with the list? I don't see a
> specific reason why new messages should not be put into the archive
> immediately. Because of my mail server problems which are hopefully fixed
> now (btw, it's not my own mail server, it's that of my provider) I missed
> stuff from several messages (fortunately many messages start with quoted
> material). I'd like to check those messages in the archive but it's too
> much behind. Other mailing list archives are in synch with the list. The
> PNG mailing list archive is actually faster than the list sometimes.

One reason being: the archives online are html versions which are created
from the mbox files. Why the online archives aren't in synch with the list
itself is because it takes quite a while to process the mbox file and make up
the html versions. Especially with the amount of mail that flows over the
lists I don't want to update the mail archives every hour or even quicker. It
used to be twice a day but I've changed it to once a day. It takes about 1.5
to 2 hours to recreate the search engine's database and create the online
mail archives. The mail archives itself don't take long (15 minutes or
something) but if the mail archives are newer than the search engine database
things are out of sync there. I want those two to be in sync  with eachother.

Yes I am looking for better ways of doing it. So if you have suggestions for
a better search engine (i'm using htdig for that) and online mailinglists
(i'm using hypermail for that) please do give them. I'm not happy with a 2
hour process of creating the archives and database but i haven't found
software that's better.

Keep this in mind:
All the mailinglist archives are currently about 35MB
The server is a 233MHZ system with 64MB RAM
So things take a bit of time.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org