LFS editor of choice should be vi

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 30 10:12:29 PST 2000

> Anyone else want to speak up on this? Gerard does have the final say
> anyways, so it's really up to him (for better or worse) but he always
> listens to the LFS Community, speak up if i were you... ;)

My decision for now is to keep vim in the book. I don't want to add 5
editors. Next we add 3 compilers, 3 glibc versions, 2 awk versions and so
forth. Where is the end than.

I understand that vim haters aren't happy with this and could look at it me
advocating vim. What if I add pico? Then pico haters will think the same. Or
joe haters. Or nano haters. So vim it is. Why? Because I like vim best.

I will  make a note when installing vim that if you don't like vim go
donwload http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-hints/editors and select
your favorite editor from that file and install it, skipping the vim section.

"Editor installation writers" have to make sure that dependencies are
satisfied at the time the book installs vim. If nano needs an extra library
at the time where vim is installed in the book, make sure you mention it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org