BUGTRAQ alert - [SECURITY] [DSA-001-1] ed symlink attack

Chris Snyder csnyder at mvpsoft.com
Thu Nov 30 14:13:29 PST 2000

> What's wrong with having them all listed as alternatives and letting the
> user decide?  As the question that started this thread shows, people are
> not always aware that vim or ed is basically just there as an example fo
> a possible editor. A lot of people just follow the book to avoid trouble
> and thus don't see that they have a choice. And I thought choice was a big
> part of the LFS experience. Choice and learning. If several editors were
> presented side by side and the users had to choose that would also teach
> them to act on their own initiative instead of blindly following
> instructions which is a good lesson to learn IMHO.

That's what happened to me.  BTW, what files do I need to delete to get
rid of it?<g>

You should at least have a comment that says something like, "You can
replace vim with whatever editor you choose.  If you are unsure, install
vim and replace it later if you decide to, to ensure that you have a
working editor for your new LFS system."

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org