LFS editor of choice should be vi

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Thu Nov 30 14:57:10 PST 2000

> Yo,
>
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 06:23:24PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > I consider fairness to be very important. And giving vim special treatment
> > is not fair, it's advocacy. And advocacy is evil (and unprofessional).
>
> Agreed, but like all things in life, you have to find the balance.
>
> Picking the lesser of the evils (if you call it such) is not always a
> bad thing, nor unprofessional.
>
> So what do you want included in the book? pico? nano? jed? emacs? joe?
>
> It's all of them, or one... what is more professional having ~5 options
> or one that is supported well? (with, the given options of easily using
> a different one, simple as that)

If you're talking about fair, it's all of them or none. I'd suggest one of
the following options:

a) Really include all editors with installation instructions (i.e. all
editors for which someone volunteers to write the installation
instructions). It could be put into an extra document (a hint) or chapter.
The book would just have a pointer to it. No editor gets extra treatment
in the book.

b) No installation instructions for any editor, just download locations
for all of them. You can call it an exercise. After making it to chroot,
an LFS reader should be able to install such a package on his own. If he
can't he's probably not ready to continue.

c) Although I don't really like this because it's not fair, I could live
with a compromise. That would be to include vim as a representative of,
well, the vi-class of editors, and one additional editor that represents
the large class of "normal" editors, i.e. an editor that normal people can
use intuitively. That could be joe or pico or nano or ... . I think emacs
is too fat but it would still be better than just vim.

MSB

----
"#define BEGIN {"   and the miracle happens !
C gets readable!!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org