LFS editor of choice should be vi

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Thu Nov 30 15:21:10 PST 2000

> On Thursday 30 November 2000 18:23, you wrote:
> > > I don't want to see ~5+ editors in LFS, i don't mind seeing a pointer in
> > > the book to another source that desscribes the process of installing
> > > your favorite editor nor telling the user that you can use any editor (i
> > > encourage that),
> >
> > I consider fairness to be very important. And giving vim special treatment
> > is not fair, it's advocacy. And advocacy is evil (and unprofessional).
>
> No need to get emotional. If one or two people install vim cause they find
> it too troublesome to look into the hints, let them. What is it to you?
>
> Ask yourself one question? if it was your favorite editor which was listed in
> the Book would you react equally?

Yes. I am one of the few people who believe that certain principles, like
fairness, are more important than personal taste. I know, I'm pretty
weird. It's not a joke but my C++ programs look like this

#define honest {
#define just }

int main()
honest
just;

because I consider honesty and justice to be the 2 most important virtues
(the words are a bit too long, though, which is why I use the adjectives)
and that way I always remind myself of it.

MSB

----
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org