dynamically generated book

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Thu Nov 30 18:04:51 PST 2000

Think the world is ready for so much choice? Most people I know have
barely, if at all, heard of Linux. I have only in the last week begun to
learn of the controversy concerning compilers.

The main reason I started LFS was to learn Linux system basics. I was
trying to learn how to use Red Hat but kept getting confused when I read
various HOWTOs because files where not where the HOWTOs said they should
be. I still get headaches from trying to use the rpm utility. There is a
perl software package I want to use that requires perl 5.6. I can't get
perl 5.6 into my RH6.2 install (without have two interpreters). I bought a
5.2 package over a year ago when I first started toying with the idea of
getting away from Microsoft. It got installed as a dual boot but didn't get
used because I didn't know what to do with the command line prompt. Though
RH7.0 has perl 5.6 I don't want to buy it. If I have to buy a new version
of Red Hat every six months to get stuff I want it will cost more and cause
more disruption to my system than buying the obligatory Microsoft Upgrade.

Even without getting blown away with a bewildering array of options I got
bogged down in my first go at LFS. I came back to it a bit over a month ago
and got on this list when I hit another wall. With the help of the folks
here I was able to get that attempt to boot. I just finished installing the
boot scripts as I work my way through the current version of the book. I am
doing this one on a partition on my LAN server and hopefully will be able
to get networking, Samba Apache, and MySQL installed and working proper so
that I can make the switch over to LFS as my main server OS. I know, from
experience that I will be hitting more walls as I move along. Time to
really check out the hints and get subscribed to the LFS Apps list.

--

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org