LFS editor of choice should be vi

John E. Garrott Sr johnga at primenet.com
Thu Nov 30 19:45:48 PST 2000

jerry wrote:

> Outside of the university , (professional unix programmers and administrators)
> i have found that most of the best unix admins that I know prefer vi and most
> of the programmers that I know prefer something else. This observation appears
> to not be age specific.
>
> Jerry Dinardo
>
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 11:57:11PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > > Certainly vi is the most widely used text editor
> >
> > I'm sure it's the *least* widely used editor. If I walk into the computer
SNIP

Over the past twenty years, I've noticed that most,
if not all, emacs users drop back to vi when in a
hurry.  (didn't I just put a sparrow amongst the cats? :)

I don't like emacs even more than I don't like vi,
but I've had to use vi so much that I'm at least used
to it.  Emacs I never learned well.  Too big a learning
curve and not enough motivation while vi was around.

John

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org