LFS editor of choice should be vi

Hans-Dieter Stich hdstich at commplex-media.de
Thu Nov 30 23:52:13 PST 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 11:57:11PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > Certainly vi is the most widely used text editor
>
> I'm sure it's the *least* widely used editor. If I walk into the computer
> rooms at university I see people using either emacs (my guess on the most
> widely used editor) or kedit, sometimes pico (mostly within pine) or joe
> and sometimes nedit, but I've never ever seen someone use vi. Vi is only
> used by some old-school Unix freaks.

oh, now, that's not true!

my colleagues and i use it for our daily programming and
regular work! especially when you are doing a lot of remote
administration, vi (vim) is the editor of your choice!

it takes some time to get used to it, but afterwards you are
pretty fast at editing files!

and it is certainly the editor which you can find on nearly
every unix-like system.

ciao
h-d

  Commplex Media AG             Hans-Dieter Stich/CTO
  Office Ulm                    fon:  +49-7304-434997
  Development Team              fax:  +49-7304-434998
  Spatzenweg 12                 mail: hdstich at commplex-media.de
  89160 Dornstadt               web:  http://www.commplex-media.de/

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org