LFS 2.4 - Hang on 1st reboot

Richard Bland RBland at PeopleSupport.com
Wed Oct 4 10:49:33 PDT 2000

SOLUTION!

OK, here's what happened.

I was compiling LFS on a 686 for a 486 target. The 486 only had a 400MB
disk, so I couldn't do the 'install Red Hat, create a new partition & make
LFS' thing since there just wasn't room. So I compiled LFS on my 686, which
already had RH6.2 and threw it onto the 400MB and threw that into the 486.

I compiled glibc on the 686, setting the -march=i486 and -mcpu=i486 flags in
CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. However, glibc actually got compiled for a i686.

The symptoms I was suffering from (nothing happening after the kernel
finished loading) was due to glibc being compiled for a 686 and running on a
486. init, bash, just about everything else is dynamically linked to libc,
so NOTHING would run. It just sat there after the last kernel line.

/* the solution */
Apparently, in order to cross compile for another x86, you have to specify
--host=i486-pc-linux-gnu in the ./configure command for glibc.

Thx to everyone on #LFS and the list for putting up with my babbling.

Cheers

Rich B