/boot partitions

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Fri Oct 6 04:19:12 PDT 2000

Yo,

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 01:43:55PM +0200, Michael Irving wrote:
> That is not the entire truth.
> The machine still has to be able to adress the disk. I've seen machines that
> couldn't adress the entire disk no matter what tricks we tried. And making a
> small / isn't always as good as root has his homedir on that aswell ( and
> according to LSB the /root should reside on the same partition as /) .. I
> would rather suggest a small /boot first on the disk if you are experiencing
> such problems.

I hope you don't run as root all the time...?

That's a _serious_ security hazard waiting to hit.

/root shouldn't have (really) all that much in it. my root fs (/bin,
/boot, /dev, /etc, /lib, /mnt, /sbin, /tmp, /var) never goes over 100MB
(and it's usually one or two things that cause that, 1) i was compiling
something in /root which i shouldn't be or 2) my logs in /var are
gettting nice and big, time to clean them up =)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org