problem in chapter 6: entering chroot'ed environment

Shaggy Im-erbtham shaggy at loxinfo.co.th
Sat Oct 7 09:41:41 PDT 2000

I got to chapter 6 and ran into a few problems.

After
cd $LFS
chroot $LFS env -i HOME=/root bash --login

I got this prompt

bash-2.04#

This seems strange. Is this inside the chroot'ed environment?
Here I could not access any other partitions; I had to exit, copied
the MAKEDEV packaged to $LFS and re-enter to get to the next
step.

Despite uncertainty, I braved through the next few steps.
Then, after
./MAKEDEV -v generic

I got multiple error lines, amongst them

chown: root: disk: invalid user

kept repeating.

So what went wrong along the way.

TIA