problem in chapter 6: entering chroot'ed environment

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 7 12:42:08 PDT 2000

On Sat, 07 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Yes, /etc/group and /etc/passwd were created at the end of chapter 5.
>
> /lfs/etc/group
> root:x:0:
> bin:x:1:
> sys:x:2
> kmem:x:3:
> tty:x:4
> uucp:x:5
> daemon:x:6
> floppy:x:7
> disk:x:8
>
> /lfs/etc/passwd
> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>
> These files seem correct... that is, through my untrained
> eyes. Or are they?

Looks good. Perhaps Glibc can't find the files passwd and group for some
reason.

You executed the echo commands to setup group and passwd exactly as the book
says, right? If in doubt, copy and paste them.

Also execute this command: id
The output must be exactly like this:
root:# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

If you get uid=0 gid=0 groups=0 without the name 'root' then the system is
having problems translating the numerics to names, so that means /etc/group
and /etc/passwd can't be found. If that's the case, create the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file. The contents can be found at the end of Chapter 6 -
configuring essential software.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org