/boot partitions

SamBC sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Sun Oct 8 04:59:25 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isabel4 sur Doedle" <isabel4 at telindus.be>

> They recommend a 750 Mb partition for the whole system, so if it starts at
> the beginning of your disk no problem.

True, but a seperate /boot partition is a general reccomendation for linux
anyway, sa well as having that extra requirement (until recently)

> And ... Isn't it the / partition that should end before the cyl. 1024,
with
> the /boot directory included in it ? Don't know ...

The important part is that the kernal bzimage is within the 1024 cylinder
limit, if you are using lilo, any version not current. If you use the
current version of lilo, or if you use grub, and you enable lba, then there
is no problem anyway.

A /boot partition has the further advantage, if you wish, of sharing kernels
between different distro's (on different / partitions)

SamBC