Levels of sym links

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 8 10:48:45 PDT 2000

> Hi. While compiling several packages in the chrooted environment i got
> complais and errors runing make install about a missing
> ginstall("/usr/bin/ginstall file not found"), as fileutils was just
> recently  re-conpiled with dinamic libraries and moved all the binaries
> including "install" to /bin i just ran the command "ln -s /bin/install
> /usr/bin/ginstall".
> Now, while compiling make and modutils in 2 different chrooted consoles I
> get this messages:
>
> /bin/sh: /usr/bin/ginstall: Too many levels of symbolic links
>  /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 ./pt_BR.mo
> /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
> /bin/sh: /usr/bin/ginstall: Too many levels of symbolic links
>  /usr/bin/ginstall -c -m 644 ./ru.mo
> /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/make.mo
> /bin/sh: /usr/bin/ginstall: Too many levels of symbolic links
> make[2]: *** [install-data-local] Error 126
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/make-3.79.1/i18n'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/make-3.79.1/i18n'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

execute the following please:
cd /usr/bin
ls -l ginstall

by the way, the correct name would be /usr/bin/install, not ginstall
(ginstall is just a temporary name)

> /bin/sh: install: command not found
> + install -s modinfo /sbin
> /bin/sh: install: command not found

It probably wants to use the file /usr/bin/install and yours is called
ginstall.

If the absolute /usr/bin/install symlink doens't work, try a relative
(although i can't see why it's not working):

cd /usr/bin
ln -s ../../bin/install install

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org