problem in chapter 6: entering chroot'ed environment

Shaggy Im-erbtham shaggy at loxinfo.co.th
Sun Oct 8 22:19:45 PDT 2000

Based on Gerard and Jesse's suggestions this is what I did:

1) tried compiling sh-utils in chroot but error
bash-2.04#    cd usr/src/sh-utils-2.0;
bash-2.04#   ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type: you
must specify one

2) recompiled sh-utils in **lfs partition***... successful
but same errors in chroot
bash-2.04#  ./MAKEDEV -v -generic
chown: root:floppy: invalid user

3) tried compiling glibc in chroot but error
bash-2.04#    cd usr/src/gcc-build
bash-2.04#   ../glibc-build/configure --prefix=/usr ---enable-add-ons
--with-headers=/lfs/usr/indlude
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... ../glibc-2.1.3/scripts/config.guess: invalid
character 47 in exportstr for HOME/

Please suggest course of action. I'm thinking about recompiling glibc in
lfs partition but
thought I'll check with you guys first as it's going to take something like
**a day** for my
lfs-dedeicated 486 box to crunch it out.

TIA
Shaggy