who installs LFS root/user (was book bug)

Erika Pacholleck Pacholleck.E at gmx.de
Tue Oct 10 00:37:39 PDT 2000

( Die, 10 Okt 2000 ) Anna Jonna Armannsdottir <-- :
> >-- SNIPPED other suggestions --<
>
> Other suggestions:
> Compiling and installing software with root priviliges is dangerous to
> the system health.
> After crashing my system once, I do this as a normal user.
> The $LFS and all subdirectories are owned by the user.
> All the downloaded packages are owned by the user.
> All .. configuration, compilation, installation is done by the user.
> This has saved my system many times when I issued a perfectly good
> install command like
> the following when $LFS was not set:
> make $LFS/usr install
>
> The system will not be hurt by this if I am a normal user. But if I am
> root, this will overwrite
> some programs.

Please let me try to understand this and correct me if I am wrong

this will end up like this:
drwxrwxrwx myself.user /mnt/lfs/
drwxr-xr-x myself.user /mnt/lfs/etc
-rwxr-xr-x myself.user /mnt/lfs/etc/fstab

Now if I chroot /mnt/lfs this will only work for myself.user
if I have created /mnt/lfs/passwd and users containing myself and user,
otherwise I will not be able to go on working with myself.user, right?

If my LFS system is ready built and I boot it, login as myself
and work in it normally, what is happening if I do this command:
rm -fR / home/myself/test-logs ?
(the space between / and home it is intentional, it happened to me once)
All directories and files are owned by myself.user and I will be deleting
the system I work on, right?
On the other hand, if all directories were owned by root.root, I would
get an error message like rm: /boot no permission or similar, right?
(assuming that /boot will be the first one to be deleted)

So to me this seems to be far more dangerous to build the normal operating
system as a user than as root, with regard to how the ready-built LFS system
would behave in the end.

The only solution I could think of would be creating a user that might be
admin.system or something like that (but would that not be against all rules?)

Erika

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org