who installs LFS root/user

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Tue Oct 10 05:45:43 PDT 2000

> First things frist, this is just, In My Humble Opinion and a working
> version would be interesting.
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 01:11:24PM +0200, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be useful to create a separate user for every package you
> > install? The full name of the user would contain the package name and
> > version, the home directory could be the src/ directory for the package
> > (or the stow directory if you use stow) and the .plan file could contain
> > installation notes like the ftp:// source for the package. That way a
> > simple finger can identify every file in the system. All these users would
> > be in a group that has write access to bin/, .... but the files in bin/,..
> > would be chmod go-w.
> > Now if I understand access rights correctly every package would be allowed
>
> Now, like i said, this would be interesting to see...but (IIRC) a group
> can only have 32 users (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

I've never heard of this limitation. At my university the students are all
in the group "stud". How would that work with this limitation. Maybe one
user can only be part of 32 groups but that is no problem to my scheme.

>and adding a
> new user for each package..would be having alot of users on my
> system(s).

So what? Having 100 more users doesn't hurt the system. Even with 16bit
signed UIDs there are over 32000 possible users and I think Linux uses
32bit UIDs. Again, I can only take my university as an example. There are
many more students than I'm ever going to install packages and it seems to
work fine. Are there any speed penalties I don't know about when adding
more users (except for a few more microseconds when parsing /etc/passwd)?

> > Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
>
> Ahh..the makings of a Perl Programmer.

No Perl. Just C++. I got this signature from a collection.

MSB

----
Vacuum cleaners suck!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org