book bug

peter.wood at worldonline.dk peter.wood at worldonline.dk
Tue Oct 10 06:32:21 PDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 06:01:57AM +0200, Anna Jonna Armannsdottir wrote:
>> Other suggestions:
> Compiling and installing software with root priviliges is dangerous to
> the system health.
> After crashing my system once, I do this as a normal user.
> The $LFS and all subdirectories are owned by the user. All the
> downloaded packages
> are owned by the user. All software configuration, compilation and
> installation is done
> by the user.
> This has saved my system many times when I issued a perfectly good
> install command like
> the following when $LFS was not set:
> make $LFS/usr install
>
> The system will not be hurt by this if I am a normal user. But if I am
> root, this will overwrite
> some programs.

The $LFS thing IS mentioned in the book (last I looked).  What do you do to
change the ownerships once you are finished with building? You don't want a
system with everything owned by <username>, so what command do you use to
change <username> to root on the whole system?  And once you have done it, do
you not have a security risk ANYWAY? If there is something nasty planted in a
package, it may well bite AFTER you have your system set up and installed and
ownerships are corrected.

Peter

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org