who installs LFS root/user

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Tue Oct 10 09:19:46 PDT 2000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Jean-François Le Ray wrote:
> Call me dense, but some executables need to be installed suid root,
> and "make install" need write access to some "root" (/bin, /etc,
> /usr/bin, ...)
> directories.
>
> How would it work if "make install" is executed as a standard user ?

Not a "standard" user, but a user for that specific purpose with the
necessary permissions.  I suppose many directories would be given a
suitable group ID, and the users would be members of the required
groups.

Some things might still have to be done as root, but not for the vast
majority of packages.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org