who installs LFS root/user

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Tue Oct 10 10:36:16 PDT 2000

> Call me dense, but some executables need to be installed suid root,
> and "make install" need write access to some "root" (/bin, /etc,
> /usr/bin, ...)
> directories.
>
> How would it work if "make install" is executed as a standard user ?

If a program needs special permissions I'll have to set them manually or
make an exception for the respective package by installing it as root. I
don't consider this a drawback but an advantage of the method.
I *don't want* packages to install suid root programs behind my back.

And about the write access to /bin,..., those directories will be owned by
a group "packages" that all the package users will be part of. That way
write access to the directories can be granted to the packages. The good
thing is that this write access allows only adding of new files or
replacing of files of the same package because it's directory specific
write access. The files within the directories have the group w bit clear
so that package A can't overwrite or modify files from package B.

MSB

----
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org