book bug

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 10 12:56:08 PDT 2000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> In  chapter 5
> Installation of Bash
> root:bash-2.04# ./configure --enable-static-link \
>
>        > --prefix=/usr --disable-nls \
>
>        #################
>
>        > --host=i486-pclinux-gnu
>
>        #################
>        root:bash-2.04# make
>
> I added the host option because my current system is identified as a
> i586 I but I am building a system on a that is to run on a i486.
> Therefore the host option is necessary in this case.

I don't see that that is a bug, just something you specifically need because
you want to cross-compile.

> I suggest that the following is added to help people save hours of work
> when they (as I did) repeatedly  install and remove the glibc packages
> when trying to fix a bug.
>
> In chapter 5
> Installation of Glibc
>
> For your convenience, the commands for unpacking the glibc package is
> given here since it may help you proceed faster.
>
>        export LFSSRC=~/lfs; echo $LFSSRC
>        cd $LFSSRC/usr/src
>        gzip -dc glibc-2.1.3.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>        cp ./glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.3.tar.gz ./glibc-crypt-2.1.tar.gz
> ./glibc-2.1.3/
>         cd glibc-2.1.3
>        gzip -dc glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.3.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>        gzip -dc glibc-crypt-2.1.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>        rm glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.3.tar.gz glibc-crypt-2.1.tar.gz

You suggest to "add the following". What exactly do you want me to add?

> In chapter 5
> Installation of Glibc
> a slight error in the parameter list of a patch command.  The book says:
>
> root:glibc-2.1.3# patch -Np1 -i ../glibc-2.1.3.patch
>
> The command should read:
> root:glibc-2.1.3# patch -N -p1 -i ../glibc-2.1.3.patch

That's not a bug, you can pass -Np1 to patch and it will accept it, unless,
perhaps, if you run a very old patch version. If so, get a new one from
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/patch/ (2.5.4 is the current version)

> In chapter 6, the installation of bash may be a little confusing,
> because the users can not know what
> happend and where they are. Therefore I suggest something like the
> following (changes are beetween
> ###### lines):

<cut>

Right, such lines were present in 2.4, but i removed them from 2.5.1 to make
copy & pasting easier. I also believe that the user can or at least should be
able to keep track of it. Just execute the commands shown in the book in the
correct order as the book shows them and eveything should work just fine.

>        Use the procedure given in the beginning of the book, if LFS does
> not
>        hold a correct value.
>        TODO: What happened and Where are we ?

The book tells you, like Jesse pointed out already I believe, that whenever
you read $LFS you should replace it with the /mnt/lfs (or wherever you
mounted the LFS partition). If you want to use the $LFS variable, it's up to
you to make sure the variable contains a value.

> Other suggestions:
> Compiling and installing software with root priviliges is dangerous to
> the system health.
> After crashing my system once, I do this as a normal user.
> The $LFS and all subdirectories are owned by the user. All the
> downloaded packages
> are owned by the user. All software configuration, compilation and
> installation is done
> by the user.
> This has saved my system many times when I issued a perfectly good
> install command like
> the following when $LFS was not set:
> make $LFS/usr install
>
> The system will not be hurt by this if I am a normal user. But if I am
> root, this will overwrite
> some programs.

I don't consider it dangerous, just look twice at your commands before you
hit enter is my advice. Or install as a regular user but make sure you do a
chown root.root -R /mnt/lfs when you're done, but that was already suggested
by somebody else so I won't comment more on that one.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org