who installs LFS root/user

Philipp Niemann niemann at IfM-Bonn.org
Tue Oct 10 11:06:55 PDT 2000

Greetings!

On 10 Oct 2000, at 9:37, Erika Pacholleck wrote:
> ( Die, 10 Okt 2000 ) Anna Jonna Armannsdottir <-- :
> > >-- SNIPPED other suggestions --<
> >
> > Other suggestions:
> > Compiling and installing software with root priviliges is dangerous to
> > the system health.
> > After crashing my system once, I do this as a normal user.
[snipped practice]
> > The system will not be hurt by this if I am a normal user. But if I am
> > root, this will overwrite some programs.
>
> Please let me try to understand this and correct me if I am wrong
>
> this will end up like this:
> drwxrwxrwx myself.user /mnt/lfs/
> drwxr-xr-x myself.user /mnt/lfs/etc
> -rwxr-xr-x myself.user /mnt/lfs/etc/fstab

Right, and just before you go to chroot to your LFS- Tree you issue
the command

# chown -R root.root $LFS

That will fix the owner/group thingy on the LFS- System. After
chrooting there is no longer a problem with installing packages as
root; the old system ain't visible for overwriting.

> The only solution I could think of would be creating a user that might be
> admin.system or something like that (but would that not be against all rules?)

This could be quite interesting. Such a user would do all the
installations. I suggest the user should be created after the setup of
LFS is completly done. He is the owner of the /usr/local tree and
therefore it would be possible to install things in the local tree but not to
overwrite LFS- Systemfiles. Especially not those 'hours-of-work'-/etc-
files ;-) Hope I think of this when I'm done with LFS.

Regards,
Philipp

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org