book INTEL - hint - original glibc version unknown

John Phillips lfs at linux.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 13:50:04 PDT 2000

Erika Pacholleck wrote

> open the file /lib/libc.xxx (xxx = whatever follows)
> in a normal editor and search for the word "release version".
> Right after this you find the exact version of your libc
> (and besides that, following some more information when and
> how it was compiled)

That's a very good idea.  However, it might be "cleaner" with a binary
file to do:

    strings /lib/libc.so.xxx | grep "release version"

instead of opening it with a text editor.  (Of course you have to have
"strings" installed.)

> Also good to know exactly what your distributor did ;-)

However my suggestion above doesn't get all of this interesting (and
useful) information unless you use 'grep -A15 "release version"' to
include 15 lines of the trailing context.

John Phillips           lfs at linux.demon.co.uk

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org