UserModeLinux ?

peter.wood at worldonline.dk peter.wood at worldonline.dk
Wed Oct 11 15:02:14 PDT 2000

Hi

I do not recall seeing user-mode-linux (uml) mentioned in the list.  If I am
wrong, please correct me.  I bring it up because it is potentially very useful
for building and testing (not only kernels).  I have tried running a "clone" of
my lfs system inside my regular system, and it works like a charm (although I
have not got networking between virtual and real machine working _yet_).

Uml makes it possible to build (and boot) linux systems _without_:

1) rebooting the real machine
2) partitioning the hard disk

It would be very convenient for testing new packages/scripts/startup.  What do
you think?

Peter

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org