book INTEL - hint - original glibc version unknown

Erika Pacholleck Pacholleck.E at gmx.de
Thu Oct 12 00:28:53 PDT 2000

( Don, 12 Okt 2000 ) Gerard Beekmans <-- :
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> > Erika Pacholleck wrote
> >
> > > open the file /lib/libc.xxx (xxx = whatever follows)
> > > in a normal editor and search for the word "release version".
> > > Right after this you find the exact version of your libc
> > > (and besides that, following some more information when and
> > > how it was compiled)
> >
> > That's a very good idea.  However, it might be "cleaner" with a binary
> > file to do:
> >
> >     strings /lib/libc.so.xxx | grep "release version"
>
> Looks like a better solution. I'll add that to the book.
>
> > instead of opening it with a text editor.  (Of course you have to have
> > "strings" installed.)

This was just my first idea to indicate that you can do that with any editor;
great if John quickly adds the one-liner command

> > > Also good to know exactly what your distributor did ;-)
> >
> > However my suggestion above doesn't get all of this interesting (and
> > useful) information unless you use 'grep -A15 "release version"' to
> > include 15 lines of the trailing context.
>
> I don't think that's really needed for the lfs-book purposes, is it?

That was only ment to be a comment for those interested in having a look
into it, we won't need that unless someone maybe runs into glibc related
probs and maybe wants to check wether there are differences in compiling.

Erika

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org