prompt and cut&paste [was: Re: 2.4.1-Balu1 pre-chroot (LONG)]

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Thu Oct 12 07:37:49 PDT 2000

> Whish from me (to be discussed):
> Get the prompts back (I don't like the style with &&... - even if I use
> it usually, it looks wierd. I agree that cutnpaste is easier then and I
> see that you have less to edit while updating packages ;)

Maybe the following can be useful. It's from the Bash-Prompt-HOWTO:

11.11.  Having the Prompt Ignored on Cut and Paste

 This one is weird but cool.  Rory Toma (rory at corp.webtv.net) wrote to
 suggest a prompt like this: : rory at demon ; .  How is this useful?
 Well, if you type a command after the prompt (odd idea, that), you can
 triple click on that line (in Linux, anyway) to highlight the whole
 line, then paste that line in front of another prompt, and the stuff
 between the ":" and the """ is ignored, like so:

 : rory at demon ; uptime
   5:15pm  up 6 days, 23:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
 : rory at demon ; : rory at demon ; uptime
   5:15pm  up 6 days, 23:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

 The prompt is a no-op, and if your PS2 is set to a space, multiple
 lines can be cut and pasted as well.

----
Where...the ENIAC is equipped with 18000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons,
computers in the future may have 1000 vacuum tubes and perhaps weigh just
1-1/2 tons.

Popular Mechanics, March 1949, p.258

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org