prompt and cut&paste [was: Re: 2.4.1-Balu1 pre-chroot (LONG)]

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 12 10:11:09 PDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> > Whish from me (to be discussed):
> > Get the prompts back (I don't like the style with &&... - even if I use
> > it usually, it looks wierd. I agree that cutnpaste is easier then and I
> > see that you have less to edit while updating packages ;)
>
> Maybe the following can be useful. It's from the Bash-Prompt-HOWTO:
>
> 11.11.  Having the Prompt Ignored on Cut and Paste

It would work indeed yes, but I don't think we should use it in the book
since that means that we'll have to ensure that the user has their PS1 and
PS2 environment variables set properly.

That in itself wouldn't be a big problem but it doesn't look as nice with
those prompts enclosed between : and ;

Just my opinion, but I still that with a little bit of reading in chapter2
it's clear that after you unpack a tarball, cd into the directory that was
created. Seriously, how hard can that be.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org