before I begin

Mike Burns netgeek at downcity.net
Sat Oct 14 14:33:15 PDT 2000

On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 05:05:24PM +0200, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
> > > c) Do I really need to distinguish between /bin and /usr/bin or can I just
> > > make the latter a symlink to the former (or the other way around). After
> > > all, I don't want a separate /usr partition.
> >
> > You don't have to, allthough don't expect you aren't going to have any
> > problems later down the road (and i do don't recommend you do that :)
> > but just because you have /bin and /usr/bin it doesn't mean you have two
> > partitions.
>
> If I don't have separate partitions for / and /usr, what kind of problems
> could I get if I have /usr/bin as a symlink to /bin, or /bin as a symlink
> to /usr/bin ?  The only possible problem I can see is if 2 programs with
> the same name but different contents should be in the 2 directories. Is
> there a package that does something like this, or a package that wants to
> create a symlink from the one directory to the other automatically?
> I don't think this would be a proper action for an install script.

As far as I know, the Debian/HURD does this and everything works just about
okay. In The Hurd, /usr is a symlink to ./ -- confusing at first, but actually
a good idea. It's your system, though.

> Exactly. But if you're going to leave the guide, it's best to ask about
> possible problems first.

Or you could try it yourself first and report the problems. (It's more fun
that way! :)

--
Mike Burns <http://netgeek.ws>
"Hackers make very bad criminals." -- Emmanuel Goldstein of '2600'

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org