login problems on new lfs system

Len Littenberg ljl at viewpointusa.com
Sat Oct 14 20:48:16 PDT 2000

Hi all,

I'm having trouble logging in to the new lfs system. After booting, I
try to log in as root and get the following error message:

Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: No such file or directory

But it does exist!! I tried re-running the makedev script to no avail.
After doing a ctrl-alt-delete, I can log in but after the "Give root
password for maintenance" message. I'm definately logged into the lfs
partition as /. but when I run the mount command, the printout reads" /
on / type unknown (rw)". Checking /dev, tty1 exists with rw-rw-rw
permisions.

Any thoughts?

Lenny

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org