before I begin

Matthias Benkmann mbenkmann at gmx.de
Sun Oct 15 01:06:35 PDT 2000

> > > You don't have to, allthough don't expect you aren't going to have any
> > > problems later down the road (and i do don't recommend you do that :)
> > > but just because you have /bin and /usr/bin it doesn't mean you have two
> > > partitions.
> >
> > If I don't have separate partitions for / and /usr, what kind of problems
> > could I get if I have /usr/bin as a symlink to /bin, or /bin as a symlink
> > to /usr/bin ?  The only possible problem I can see is if 2 programs with
> > the same name but different contents should be in the 2 directories. Is
> > there a package that does something like this, or a package that wants to
> > create a symlink from the one directory to the other automatically?
> > I don't think this would be a proper action for an install script.
>
> As far as I know, the Debian/HURD does this and everything works just about
> okay. In The Hurd, /usr is a symlink to ./ -- confusing at first, but actually
> a good idea. It's your system, though.

Hmm, interesting idea. I didn't think about that possibility. But doesn't
that create an endless loop /usr/usr/usr/...?
I think having /xxx symlinked to /usr/xxx is less confusing. I'm not a
minimalist, so I don't care about a handful more symlinks.

 > > Exactly. But if you're going to leave the guide, it's best to ask about
> > possible problems first.
>
> Or you could try it yourself first and report the problems. (It's more fun
> that way! :)

It's great having fun with the root account - but not on your own machine.

MSB

----
For sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org