tar

Steve Jones sljones3 at ualr.edu
Sun Oct 15 19:15:52 PDT 2000

Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 10:46:20AM -0600, Corey Cox wrote:
> > tar -xvfz filename.tar.gz
> >
> > for files with .tar.gz extensions.  This gives me an error about z not being a
> > proper file.  I have to run:
>
> Which distrobution are you using? i've heard this before...
>
> -
>
> --

Please read up on tar.  There is two ways to give it options the old way
and the 'new' way.  Old does not use '-'s new does, and they can be
mixed to a point.  If option 'f' is used then it must be the last option
and the file name must follow immediately.  Since you are using a mixed
invocation tar thinks the file name is x and not filename.tar.gz.  This
is fully documented in the tar info pages.

Anyway I've been here for a while and built 2 LFS systems without any
problems that I couldn't figure out, some with the help of the mail
lists so thanks to every one out there

Steve Jones
sljones3 at ualr.edu

if I lean to the left don't worry, one leg is longer than the other...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org