[Re: tar]

Corey Cox sleepnir at usa.net
Sun Oct 15 19:51:08 PDT 2000

Yeah, I figured it out right away - but I thought we might want to go ahead
and change the book if it is giving other people errors.  It is pretty
straightforward but why do we want to have something that is going to give
someone errors?  --If we don't have to, of course.

Corey Cox.

Steve Jones <sljones3 at ualr.edu> wrote:
Jesse Tie Ten Quee wrote:

> Yo,
>
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 10:46:20AM -0600, Corey Cox wrote:
> > tar -xvfz  filename.tar.gz
> >
> > for files with .tar.gz extensions.  This gives me an error about z not
being a
> > proper file.  I have to run:
>
> Which distrobution are you using? i've heard this before...
>
> -
>
> --

Please read up on tar.  There is two ways to give it options the old way
and the 'new' way.  Old does not use '-'s new does, and they can be
mixed to a point.  If option 'f' is used then it must be the last option
and the file name must follow immediately.  Since you are using a mixed
invocation tar thinks the file name is x and not filename.tar.gz.  This
is fully documented in the tar info pages.

Anyway I've been here for a while and built 2 LFS systems without any
problems that I couldn't figure out, some with the help of the mail
lists so thanks to every one out there

Steve Jones
sljones3 at ualr.edu

if I lean to the left don't worry, one leg is longer than the other...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org