before I begin

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 16 06:34:23 PDT 2000

> The official download location listed in the 2.4.2 appendix for ld.so is
> still linufromscratch.org, so my question stands: What's special about
> this ld.so package? It doesn't seem to make sense. Why would LFS's ldd be
> different from that used by RedHat?

In a long gone past (ala LFS-1.3) I wasn't able to find an official
download location for ld.so. So I downloaded the source package from
Debian and uploaded it to linuxfromscratch.org and left it there. I
never searched for a new one since.

Why didn't I point the book to Debian then? The package name seemed to be
changing from time to time so that would just be confusing for people
who aren't very familiar with the Debian package naming scheme.

> Yes, of course but that doesn't answer my question. What I want to know is
> why the book tells me to do
>
> make PREFIX=$LFS/usr install
>
> and then move files from $LFS/usr/bin to $LFS/bin
>
> instead of
>
> make PREFIX=$LFS install

If you would do that, you would end up with man pages in $LFS/man and
info pages in $LFS/info and other stuff in $LFS/share

After you enter chroot your man pages would be located in /man/man1
instead of /usr/man/man and other files in /share instead of /usr/share

So we give a prefix of /usr so that all files end up in /usr/* but the
files from /usr/bin are then moved to /bin

But that has been changed in LFS-2.4.2 by passing the --bindir=$LFS/bin
to configure scripts. This only affects what happens in chapter 5 of the
book, so my suggestion download chapter 5, print it out and use it as an
errate or something like that. That way you don't have to print out the
almost 400 pages worth of LFS-book.