login problems on new lfs system

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 17 12:16:33 PDT 2000

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble logging in to the new lfs system. After booting, I
> try to log in as root and get the following error message:

At the time when you login, is the root partition mounted in read-write mode?

try this approach:

LILO: lfs init=/bin/bash

when you have your bash prompt, run the scripts in /etc/rcS.d and /etc/rc3.d
manually, one-by-one and see if everything worked. If you ran mountfs, check
if / is writable by running something like this: echo abc > outputfile

And so forth.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org