Patch error

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 17 12:20:55 PDT 2000

> > You need a link from gcc to cc in /usr/bin
>
> I don't think so - the problem is not that cc is missing, but that the
> host-type can not be configured...
>
> After installing glibc you should have a /usr/lib/gcc-lib/* dir which
> should be named like i486-suse-linux/ or similar...
>
> If you don't have that glibc was not installed correctly.

That's what everybody would think at first, but actually it's not that. I've
had that error myself a few times and I began tracking down that problem in
configure by seeing how it wants to determine the host type. Turned out it
runs the config.guess script or something to that effect. Upon examining that
file I came to the point where the host type part for intel cpu's was. I ran
it but it didn't return a thing because it had this line in it: 2> /dev/null
Upon removing 2> /dev/null I got the error:
bash: cc: no such directory

bingo, checked symlink, forgot to add it, added it, host type could be
guessed.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org