tar

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 17 12:25:44 PDT 2000

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> in your section discussing unpacking the software you write:
>
> tar -xvfz filename.tar.gz

actually the book says tar xvfz not -xvfz (makes a bit of a difference like
Steve Jones explained).

On top of that, with some distributions even 'tar xvfz' doesn't work because
they want f to be the last parameter. This is because those distributions run
an older tar version.

Why does the book say xvfz and not xvzf to catch that problem? Well, it's
what I'm used to. It's easier to type xvfz than xvzf (if you type with 10
fingers that is). But I will change that in the book. You're not the only one
who has a distribution with quirks like that

> certainly had plent of other problems with it.  I was also wondering what
> you would prefer for the format of someone correcting a bug or adding a
> feature. Should we send you a completed web page or jsut tell you what we
> think ought to be changed - as above.  What is easiest for you?  I'd really
> like to help on this project I think it is one of the best things out
> there, I've learned so much and so quickly.

The way you did it is good enough. I don't need special formats or personal
directed emails. I read each and every email to this list anyways so when
posted here I'll find it. If you posted a bug fix and I have not responded to
it, send it again personally. I could have missed an email from time to time
;)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org