info on installing bash ...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 17 12:33:17 PDT 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> book-version = 2.4.2
> system = redhat 7.0
> user = newbie
>
> when i install bash (as on page 51 of pdf) i get this error-msg:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurses
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [bash] Error 1
>
> i started all over again three times, but this still did not work.
> after searching the mail-archives i found this solution:
> replace "--with-curses" with "--with-ncurses" and the error is gone.
> http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfsdiscuss/5235.html
>
> maybe this is a helpful for somebody.
> (if i did something bad, please let me know.)

Nothing bad about it, since ncurses and curses are the same files on your
harddisk (libcurses* are symlinks to libncurses*)

Are you sure that --with-ncurses worked? If you look at configure's --help
output it doesn't mention a --with-ncurses option. I'll run a check again,
perhaps the configure script does know the parameter and uses it. It would at
least get rid of people who are having problems with their distribution due
to the missing libcurses.a symlink.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org