makedev script - up to date?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 17 12:36:31 PDT 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> Hi LFS-MAILINGLIST,
>
> i've just installed my 2nd lfs-system (no problems this time),
> and i was not satisfied with the MAKEDEV-scipt.
>
> does lfs still usr MAKEDEV-2.5 (i'm not up to date with lfs books and
> stuff)
>
> anyway, i've written my own make_device_files script,
> it's not intelligent or something like that, but it creates
> the needed device files and links (--> documentation of kernel 2.2.14)
> please have a look at it (i'm not sure if everything is ok, but my sys
> works just fine with the devices created by my script) :-)

Jesse and I are going to work on modifying the MAKEDEV script or creating a
new one from scratch.

An option is (but we haven't decided on it yet) is to patch the existing
MAKEDEV-2.5 script and in stead of passing 'generic' to it, we could pass
'lfs' to it (so you'd run /dev/MAKEDEV -v lfs) that basically does what
generic does, but add more like hdc, hdd, sr* sdd* and remove things normal
people would not need like fd0CompaQ and other obscure files nobody needs
these days. A lot of the tty's can go, since evey reasonable linux system
would use the virtual system /dev/pts (kernel option) instead of ttyp* and
such.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org