makedev script - up to date?

Erika Pacholleck Pacholleck.E at gmx.de
Tue Oct 17 13:45:02 PDT 2000

( Die, 17 Okt 2000 ) Gerard Beekmans <-- :

> Jesse and I are going to work on modifying the MAKEDEV script or creating a
> new one from scratch.
>
> An option is (but we haven't decided on it yet) is to patch the existing
> MAKEDEV-2.5 script and in stead of passing 'generic' to it, we could pass
> 'lfs' to it (so you'd run /dev/MAKEDEV -v lfs) that basically does what
> generic does, but add more like hdc, hdd, sr* sdd* and remove things normal
> people would not need like fd0CompaQ and other obscure files nobody needs
> these days. A lot of the tty's can go, since evey reasonable linux system
> would use the virtual system /dev/pts (kernel option) instead of ttyp* and
> such.

I did a complete rewrite which is in test-phase on my system now.
It is not that much complicated as the 2.5 and a hell lot more explained
as I really have my probs with the code of 2.5 :(
Only one thing I want for myself to be added, so working on that,
and then need to translate some german comments, too.

If you want me to publish I could give it one push more.

Erika

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org